This year the Summer Solstice and the Full Moon happen at the same time, providing the highest possible climax of light, since both the Sun and the Moon reach their maximum luminosity. This is a great opportunity to celebrate all aspects of light in your life and in the lives of all living beings.
The Summer Solstice marks the longest period of daylight north of the equator, while south of the equator it is the longest period of darkness. In ancient times the summer solstice was the time in which the Sun god or representative was ritually sacrificed to the Great Mother so as to begin his journey in the underworld. The Summer Solstice constitutes the turning point of the light half of the year. In the natural cycle it is a time of ripening and stabilisation after the intense growth of spring. It is a period of care and precaution inspired by the apex of the Sun’s light and the awareness of its forthcoming descent into darkness. After the strenuous labour of the past months, now I can begin to harvest the fruits of the seeds that were planted in spring. According to the Orphic tradition, Cancer is the threshold through which the soul enters into its present life. The Egyptians, who began their year in this sign, regarded Cancer as the soul’s gate into incarnation. Many other ancient teachings also referred to Cancer as the Gate of Men, the portal through which all souls descend from the heavens and assume human bodies. It is an area where we can deeply connect with the true motivation that brought us on Earth, and learn to distinguish it from all other objectives that do not pertain to our original awareness.
For further information on the Summer Solstice please click here.
The following practice is a distant healing open event, which can occur wherever you are in the world.
The event can take place at any time between 20 and 24 June 2016.
Please find below some guidelines describing our Summer Solstice Meditation.
In this meditation participants come together in silent communion to promote an Intention of Light, Healing, Love, and Alignment with the Web of Life, releasing grievances and opening up to the presence of Spirit, as they understand That. The aim is to support healing and love at all levels, for you, the environment and all beings, including those abiding in other realms.
1) Stand relaxed with the spine straight, feet flat on the floor, facing South. Focus on your breath and connect with the space around you, the emptiness surfacing the edges of your body. Sense the whole environment and its void and fullness, allowing the void and fullness of the environment to join other environments, encompassing those of all the participants in this celebration around the world.
2) Place your awareness on your solar plexus. Firmly connect with the healing Intention for this practice, while you allow the awareness of your solar plexus to progressively expand throughout all your body.
3) Consider all the luminous experiences you have had since the last Winter Solstice and the beginning of 2014, and express gratitude for them. Acknowledge your intentions, what provides joy, love and anything that you wish for yourself and others, and allow this to be held through the awareness of your solar plexus.
4) Let your individual intentions connect with all other luminous intentions, no matter how different they are, allowing each one of them to be part of the same Light and web of life. Connect with a luminous parallel universe, a Land of Light, where everything you wish is fully available for you and everyone.
5) Consider the obscurity that surrounds you, and all the dark experiences you have had since the last Winter Solstice and the beginning of 2016, how you have coped with pain, stress and unpleasant situations and express compassion and forgiveness. Allow whoever and whatever in your present life is related with grievances or difficult issues to be held through the awareness of your solar plexus.
6) Allow these grievances to connect with all types of grievance or issue, no matter how different they are, allowing each one of them to be part of the same Darkness and Web of Life. Connect with a luminous parallel universe, a Land of Light, where all grievances and pain is fully received, healed and transformed in Light.
7) Direct the awareness of your solar plexus to reach the point at the centre of your chest, your Heart. Focus only on the Heart, allowing your environment to be totally absorbed by it.
8) Be aware of your lower body (belly, genitals, legs, ankles, feet), including whatever is below, hidden, dark, till your reach the centre of the Earth, and connect it with your Heart.
9) Be aware of your upper body (throat, head), including whatever is above, luminous, up to the distant sky, to connect with your Heart.
10) Allow lower and higher, Darkness and Light, to be absorbed by the Heart, so that in the end only the Heart is there. Receive an unconditional blessing from the Heart.
11) Face the direction where the Sun is in the sky. Allow its Light to operate within and without you. Be still and silent for some minutes, staying in front of the flame or fire.
12) Come back to ordinary awareness allowing the above process to continue for a few minutes on a more subtle level. Give yourself some time to fully return to ordinary consciousness, stretch, get up or walk around, drink some water, etc. Acknowledge how you feel and what you experienced. You may wish to write down any insight or vision you have received. thing. If you wish, share this on the Summer Solstice event page or privately with us.
© Franco Santoro
Image: “Pollen Boy on the Sun”, Navajo sand-painting.